Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Unreasonable to request my own thermostat for regulating heat in 2-unit building?

Posted by yippee1999 on February 04, 2002 at 12:11:25:

I live in a brownstone on the first floor. The landlord is still in the process of fixing up the other three floors, which she hopes to rent as one unit.

I am therefore the only tenant currently in the building. The heat is steam heat?.... radiators in the rooms, and run by fuel. The thermostat that regulates the heat in the entire building is located in the other unit. Most times the heat level on my floor is OK, but there are also times when it just doesn't work well, and I am quite cold. I've mentioned this to the landlord, and she'll mumble... "oh, that's strange... I'll adjust the thermostat" or "... well, it is supposed to be warmer this weekend, so maybe that's why the heat's not on...". She has this bad habit of not LISTENING when I tell her there's a problem.

But anyway, does anyone know how such buildings normally work, when there's only 1-3 tenants in a building? Should each tenant have their own thermostat? If not, who's to say WHICH tenant should be allowed to determine the temp. for everyone else? Or is it possible that some thermostats can be set so that only a certain person (like the landlord, or someone with a key or a code) can adjust it? Regardless, do you think it unreasonable of me to want my own thermostat? Would that entail alot of reconfiguration of electrical/fuel lines?

Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name