Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Noise, Noise, Noise

Posted by Sleepless in NYC on January 27, 2002 at 00:39:01:

First, I think this is a great site with an excellent forum--it's been very enlightening.

Here's my problem. I live in lower Manhattan in a rent-stabilized apartment. I've lived here for nearly 4 years, renewing my lease yearly, and have been a model tenant, always paying my rent on time, giving the super a holiday bonus, etc.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get a good night's sleep for several months. I live several floors above a bar. For approximately 3 years, I never had any problems with the bar. Sometime between April and June of 2000, the bar reopened under new management and it's now a club/rave-type place. From about 10pm-4 (sometimes 4:30 or 5) am, 6-7 nights a week, I have pounding bass and smoke coming through my floors and walls--mind you, I don't live directly above this place. I have spoken to the bar/club manager several times, and he always says he'll turn down the music, but never does--he's a pretty big jerk. I've called my landlord's office--they control my apartment as well as the bar/club space, and they've been no help whatsoever. I've told them there should be something done about the filtering and sound-proofing, but they've informed me they won't go over to inspect the bar after their own business hours (which isn't very helpful considering the bar operates late at night).

I've contacted DEP, whose inspectors have come to the bar and say the music is not too loud, but that only means they can't hear the music from across the street. They've made several appointments to come to my apartment with their decibel-measuring equipment, but have cancelled on me no less than four times. I've had to call the Quality of Life hotline several times at 2 and 3 am, but I have serious doubts that anyone ever comes to the bar to tell them to turn down the music.

I am so frustrated--I've tried earplugs, headphones--nothing seems to help. I'm in the midst of studying for the bar exam, so this is really troublesome.

I posted a few months back, but didn't receive any replies--hopefully, there is someone out there with a suggestion! :) Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name