Posted by Francie on January 26, 2002 at 10:10:10:
My landlord is raising my rent 50%. He slipped a lease in my door on Jan 26, which states itís taking effect Feb 1. I am currently a month to month renter in NYC, coop, not rent-stabilized/controlled. No renovations have ever been done on this unit and Iíve been here 5 years. The refridgerator broke in Dec and a new one had to be purchased by the landlord, and thatís when he started talking about the 50% rent increase.
- Am I entitled to a 30 day written notice of the rent increase?
- If so, what is the name of the law stating that (I want to be fully armed before I speak with my landlord)
- Is this considered a retaliatory rent increase?
- If I choose not to sign the lease, what happens then? How long do I have before Iím evicted? (Iím out of work and canít afford the increase)
- Whatís the best way to approach this Ė call my landlord, go the board meeting next week and plead my case in person, etc.? The board of the building owns this apartment.
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup