Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

melting, want to break my lease

Posted by Melissa on January 24, 2002 at 18:23:42:

Hi there- I've got a problem and I want to know my legal entitlement. I live on the first floor, street level of a large building, somewhere directly above pipes that make the floor of my apt. HOT!! I've had film, lipstick and other things in bags that I've put on the floor and they've actually melted. Of course the average NYC apt. viewing lasts maybe 10 minutes and is conducted wearing shoes, so I had so idea. Now, I would keep the window open in order to help the situation but I live on a very loud and busy corner, and I'm also not comfortable sacrificing that much privacy (it's a studio!) I want to break the lease. The landlord collected a two month security deposit for a two year lease, and I want it all back. Can I get out of this sweatbox with my money? What about the broker's fee? There are other shady matters in the agreement too. It's a 2 year lease, but the management group (it's a private owner leasing a studio in a co-op building) says only one year leases are allowed. I signed the lease with a notation that certain repairs would be made, they weren't. I don't want it to get too messy. Advise please.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name