Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can Anyone Help?/Security Dep Issue...

Posted by me again on January 24, 2002 at 15:04:23:

In Reply to: Can Anyone Help?/Security Dep Issue... posted by In need of some help on January 24, 2002 at 13:56:22:

: Hello. Just trying to get some correct information. I live in Upstate NY - Depew (it's a suburb of Buffalo). I live in an upper and my landlords live in the lower. I signed a month - to - month lease 8 months ago. The only rule was to give them 30 days notice before I leave the apartment, which I have done in writing. I plan to leave the apartment in the exact (good) condition that it was in when I moved in. No damage, no dirt! I have always paid my rent on time (Yes, every month), so I expect to receive a full refund of my security deposit. I've researched the Tenant's rights web page on the NYS Atty General's page and it says that the landlord has to refund the security deposit w/in a "REASONABLE" amount of time. They just handed me a letter stating "FOR YOUR REFERENCE, IF ANY SECURITY DEPOSIT IS TO BE REFUNDED WE DO HAVE, BY NEW YORK STATE LAW, 6 MONTHS!!!! TO REFUND IT". Is this true???????????????????

: Thanks!!!!!!

in the rest of the world (outside of NYC), landlords generally have 30 days to supply you with an accounting of your security deposit.
yippee's response about how long it takes to close out an account and write out a check is only part of it. if there are damages to be fixed that are going to be deducted from the deposit, he has to get a contractor to come out and give an estimate, which can take weeks all by itself sometimes.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name