Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

New Landlord, repairs. rent increases?

Posted by Richard on January 17, 2002 at 11:45:39:

Other family members and now I (with my family) lived/live in the same apts since the late 60's. I believe the tenament building, in Chinatown, is rent controlled/stablized though I don't think it has been properly registered. I was related to the previous landlord who passed away a few yrs. ago. Last summer, the building was sold and the new landlord renovated some vacant apts. Obviously, they are asking for much higher rents for those apts. but I heard that they will be seeking to raise all the rents. During their rennovations, they replaced the central electrical and plumbing lines. We benefited from this work. Will the new landlord be able to raise the rents and how will the amount be determined?

Generally speaking, what laws would apply to our situation? From what I gather from your website, there is a difference between rent-stablized and rent-controlled but I do not know the differences and their affect. We do not have a lease and as far as I can deterine, never had one.

The rent was never much of an issue with the previous landlord and I confess I am ignorant about rent issues/laws. (Your website and newsletters have been informative.) Now, I am concerned about tenant rights and might need legal representation/advice. If I do need a tenant lawyer, how do I find one?

Thank you for your response.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name