Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

A Lease is Worth Breaking

Posted by John Shoesmith on January 16, 2002 at 16:46:00:

I need your help. I cannot afford a lawyer. In Septemeber I signed a lease for a townhome. A day later I wanted to break it. The realtor said I would have to pay rent and my 825 dollar security deposit plus a 500 dollar finders fee. I didn't want to give the realtors any money because of their unprofessionalism so I moved in. The place was worse than I though. The first two months the breaker box was making noise and burning. I did not report it until two months after moving in. It was fixed. It was a a saftey hazard. The dryer does not work correctly. In the lease it is stated appliances shall be fixed. I told this to the realtor and in 1.5 months time nothing was done. This team of realtors who are leasing out this property to me by way of a landlord have ruined my life. My question to all lawyers is Can I break my lease without penatily because the realtors screwed me in the beginning. How so? I moved into an unsafe townhouse, one in which there could have been a fire every night. I don't want to Sublet, I'd like to assign without facing any realtors. If you can give me an answer much appreciated.

Thanks from Virginia,
Eric

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name