Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Reduction - My new neighbor is paying 300 less than me

Posted by me on January 15, 2002 at 00:04:22:

In Reply to: Rent Reduction - My new neighbor is paying 300 less than me posted by AttiSun on January 11, 2002 at 18:58:51:

This is a fairly common situatuion. Rents of equivalent apartments in the same building frequently command different rents for a wide number of reasons.
Under rent stabilization, rents vary for a number of reasons--length of leases and vacancy leases, just to name two. Some apartments have changed hands many times, and their rents are higher because of the vacancy increases. One of my neighbors has an apartment HALF the size of mine and is paying MORE rent than me! We are both rent stabilized.
Indeed, I would say that rent stabilized apartments of equivalent sizes are less likely than non-stabilized apts. to have identical rents.
I read the other posts in this thread and I really don't understand what basis you would have for a rent reduction.

: I just signed my new lease in Sept 2001 - my rent went up $50 a month - $1560. (i live in manhattan)

: I met my new neighbor today who just moved in last week. we have the exact same floorplan and square footage. His appartment was just re-done, yet he's paying $300 a month less that I am.

: With the rent market prices being down right now, is it lawful that my landlord can rent the same exact apt. for so much less. Can I legally demand that my rent be decreased to match what my neighbor is paying? What is the best approach?
: thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name