Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Rental Question

Posted by Eric Smithfield on January 12, 2002 at 23:31:16:

Hello. I am renting a town home in Richmond, VA. The landlord’s realtors have caused me serious grief since the start. The dryer did not function correctly, I sent a letter certified mail and told them in person and got no response. Ever since moving in, for two months, I heard a noise and smelt something burning in the breaker box. I knew it was serious but put up with it due to the fear of the realtors not fixing the dryer, very unprofessional people. They even ignored me in the grocery store and claimed I don't know how to work a dryer in a sarcastic email sent. All of this effecting my job. Recently, three days ago, I called the realtor and an electrician came with the realtor, standing over my wife’s back, trying to confirm if it was a real safety hazard. The electrician was surprised there hadn't been a fire. Each breaker was burnt and one area was jerry rigged. My question to anyone who can help is: Can I break the lease even though the landlords fixed the situation, factoring in they ignored my dryer problem which is specifically written into the lease as an appliance that will be maintained that if serviced would have lead to our safety because the breaker box most likely would have been recognized?

On another note. My lease signed by all parties was never sent to me. My copy is dated Oct. 31 2001-Oct. 31 2001. But it does specify one year. Will any of this play into a legal way of breaking the lease to rid me of all the hassles?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Smithfield

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name