Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Assistance Please

Posted by Blue Zephyr on January 12, 2002 at 14:33:50:

In Reply to: Assistance Please posted by Derek Smith on January 11, 2002 at 14:51:19:

You should know that agreements and obligations work both ways. If the tables were turned, and say, your landlord wanted you out just a few days after you signed a one year lease, you would say that unfair and wrong. Well, in this case you signed a one year lease, and it sounds like your landlord is going to hold you to the agreement you made.

This is not to say you don't have options. In fact, you have several:

1) Continue renting the place, deferring your studies for a year

2) Sub-let the apartment, with permission from the LL, for the rest of your lease. Investigate about subletting here and elsewhere. Understand that subletting puts you in the position of being both a "landlord" to the sublettors and a "tenant" of your landlord. You would still be responsible for the rent even if your sublettors didn't pay.

3) Assign your lease to another party. Assignment if different from
subletting in that it absolves you totally from the lease and gives all rights and responsibilities of the lease to the party taking over. Again, search here for the procedure to do this.

4) Lastly, after considering these other options, you may decide that the landlords $3000 fee for breaking your lease is the simplest or easiest option to take.

: First and foremost, this is not a whiner inquiry. I am very frustrated with my current situation, and need assistance (pointed in the right direction). Background: I have rented a townhouse for 4 years with no issues, damage, evictions, bottom line: a great tenant.

: I have been waiting on an acceptance to seminary and did not anticipate it happening so soon after I signed a renewal lease. When I was accepted, I immediately sent a letter to my landlord and let them know about the situation, as a act of good faith. I was notified that I could not break the lease (even though it has only been 10 days) and that even though we had paid for the current month, and sacrificed our deposit, they still want $3000. What are my options....quit school before it starts, and live in a place I hate now because of this situation to pay a debt that is dumb and uncalled for...or leave....please help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name