Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: a young renter in georgia

Posted by Blue Zephyr on January 12, 2002 at 14:14:34:

In Reply to: a young renter in georgia posted by tokie e on January 12, 2002 at 13:00:56:

First of all, you aren't rent controlled ... there are no rent controlled apartments anywhere except parts of New York, New Jersey and California.

In a strictly legal sense, your landlord is right. You need to give 30 days notice, and you were told this in December. But you waited until Jan 3rd to give notice. Too late.

I don't understand why you've received an eviction notice. You've paid rent for January, right? I don't understand what the problem would be.

In any case, since you already have a new place, I would 1) Move out, leaving the place clean and in good condition. 2) Turn your keys into the landlord 3) Respond to any legal notice if you receive one. Its unlikely it would come to this, but if you are dragged into court for February rent, explain to the judge what you explained to us, and see what he says.

: hello..i just recently moved from a rent-controlled apartment in georgia..i advised my land-lord verbally that we are moving(i told her this in mid-december)..so she advised me that i would have to put in a 30-day notice..i said ok..even though we are living month-to-month..we didn't renew our lease..so january 1st i went to the office..no one was there..so i took the notice and put it in the drop box on the 3rd of january..assuming that she received this notice..i got a distubing message on the 7th of january from the land lord that my notice is invalid and i have to give her another notice on february 1st and i would still have to pay jan and feb rent,but i already signed the lease at the new apartment..so now they are telling me that i have an eviction notice and i owe $1300..so i am lost and what my rights are due to my notice was sent 3 days late i get pentalized..please help..a lost renter in georia..tokie

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name