Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Withholding cost of repairs

Posted by Chrysinth on January 09, 2002 at 22:34:03:

I live in a prewar, 64 unit, rent stabilized building in Harlem. In early May the apartment two floors above had a severe waterpipe leak, which flooded my apt. The fire department had to be called because the super's assistant (the super was on vacation) and the LL's plumber couldn't locate the shut-off valve for that particular line and they hesitated turning off the entire building's water. As a result of water running for over an hour, my bathroom ceiling was ruined and unstable. I made several calls to my LL about repairs. He told me to speak to the super and show him the damage. The super said the ceiling was going to fall, but was unsure he could properly fix it. I was told by him and LL's office to have the plumber do it, but he was too busy. In November I paid someone to fix the ceiling. The LL refuses to deduct anything from rent, because I did not get his approval to have the work done. If I deduct the 150.00 cost of repairs, I know he can take me to court, but what other options does he have and what options do I have.

Thank you

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name