Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

subleasing rights

Posted by Ana Morales on January 09, 2002 at 22:32:24:

I sublease a co-op apartment from the owner his name is Ari and his apartment in which I live in is managed by J.B.L Associates in Brooklyn, However I live in Sunnyside Queens. At first, my rent was $775.00 back in April of 1999 with a signed 2 year sublease indicating all the sublease regulations. When my 2 year lease expired in April of 2001, my rent was raised to $850.00. I pleaded with Ari and the building management office that I could not afford the increase if they can leave it at $775.00. I am a mother of 2 children one 13 years old and one 2 years old. I also faxed and spoke to Ari and the building Management regarding numerous issues regarding the apartment that needed repairs however, my voice was not heard. Of course I needed a roof over my head and the apartment issues had dragged on. I have mentioned to them that "how can they increase my rent by more thatn 6% if the apartment has many repairing pending." I even spoke with the owner (Jacob) over at the managment office and he rambled on about the value of the real estate market and if I did not want to pay the rent that I would have to leave I told him that he has too fix the repairs. The apartment conditions is not worth $850.00. I have copies and originals of the faxes that I have faxed to their office without a respond in return. What rights do I have as a tenant? When I first took this apartment I went through a real estate office and I signed the lease stating that my rent will not go up in price it is rent stabalized. After that I was being controlled by the mangement office. I was able to bring the rent down to $825.00 with a copy of the sublease altered in pen with the $825.00 cost instead of $ 850.00 as per my converstaion with Jacob at the building management office. I have tried numerous times to get a hold of the Real Estate office in Brooklyn, (One Call Away) (#64-01 18th Avenue Brooklyn Ny 718-234-3800) to discuss these matters with them and I do not get a respond. My sublease expired again in April of 2001 and they have increase my rent to $850 nothing lower than that was their respond. I again tried to explain that the apartment needed reparing and the tenant below me has been harrasing me about our shoes making noise on her ceiling and that I have to carpet the apartment 80%. I do not feel its my responsibility. I have explained that to the owner (Ari) and he has ignored me. The reason why I am writing is because I received a notice today from the owners of the building on the rules and regulations of the building. The carpet issues was mentioned. AM I responsible to carpet his apartment. The lady downstairs keeps harrasing me about that and I truly believe in love thy neighbor and it seems means and not Christ like to be at each others throat over such a matter that is beyond my control.
Help tenant in frustration.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name