Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Mother passing away

Posted by Cranky Tenant on January 09, 2002 at 02:37:11:

In Reply to: Mother passing away posted by Deborah on January 08, 2002 at 20:26:55:

When my Mom passed away on the seventh of the month the LL gave me a week to move her possessions out of her rent controlled apartment. He didn't charge any rent for that month but he didn't return her security deposit either.

If you're not on the lease and you weren't living there, I don't believe you're responsible for her rent. By comparison, I wasn't even responsible for my mother's medical bills. However, the LL isn't required to store her possessions beyond a certain timeframe if you're not paying rent.

Theoretically the LL could take you to court and sue you for removing her possessions, cleaning the apartment, rent, and any kind of damage he believes she might caused.... but he'd have to find you to serve you with a notice and there's no guarantee he'd win.

: My Mom passed away on Dec. 13th and I now have the chore of cleaning her apartment. She lived alone and has been there for 45 years.
: The landlord says I have to pay the rent for the apartment until all her belongings are moved out, I did not live there and I do not think I am responsible for the rent.
: Also, is it necessary that I clean out everything from the apartment, or can he take me to court for nt cleaning it up.
: Thank you

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name