Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: A few questions for you

Posted by Blue Zephyr on January 09, 2002 at 00:49:43:

In Reply to: A few questions about renting the lower portion of a house posted by Tracey on January 08, 2002 at 00:59:36:

Reading your longwinded post, I have a question for you: Why do you remain in such a place?

If the landlord pays for the electricty then yes, common sense says he's not going the like you wasting it.

If you have fallen TEN TIMES on the ice, then why don't you buy some salt and lay it? Costs about $4 for a big bag. Sure it would be easier if your landlord did this -- but are you going to injure yourself because you'd rather fight with your landlord over who should do this?

Go ahead and complain about the multiple residence. Inspectors will come and YOU WILL HAVE TO MOVE ON VERY SHORT NOTICE. Then, you will be free to look for a better apartment of your choice.

: Please help me out. I'm at my wits end!!!! I live in Albany, NY. I rent the lower part of a single family home. My bedroom & kitchen windows are ground level, but the rest is a normal ground floor w/ an entry door. There is no other access from the main part of the house. When I first moved in, the owner had made a few comments about me leaving a light on when I went out. The power is included in the rent, but I noticed that he'd enter my house & turn off the lights. He's only done it once or twice, but if it's part of the main residence, do they have the right to enter anytime they wish?....Also, I've been asking him to put up gutters for over a year. The snow melts off the roof, then refreezes. It's bad enough getting dripped on whenever I walk to my car, but now, it's a total sheet of ice. He doesn't salt, or anything. I've put down sand, but I'm tired of falling all the time. I fell about 10 times last year & ended up in physical therapy for my knee. I'm normally a nice person, but I won't put up with this again this year. This isn't zoned for a multiple residence. He's been having tenants for over 10 years & doesn't report the income. I'm not alone, he has another couple renting over the garage. We all share 1 water heater. It's awful. What recourse do I have if I decide to break the lease? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name