Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: being restored to possession and seeking damages

Posted by Roger on January 06, 2002 at 18:20:44:

In Reply to: being restored to possession and seeking damages posted by consigliere on January 06, 2002 at 11:41:30:

Thank you for getting back to me so promptly.
The apartment is no longer rent regulated. I believe one of the reasons the landlord acted in the manner that he did is because he wanted to raise the rent to the current market value.
I retained the lawyer for the motion to restore me to possession. This was after I came home and found that the locks had been changed. I blame myself for not acting quicker because I did receive a notice but, since it was after I had already appeared in court and thought the matter had been settled and after I had submitted the rent which was returned to me, I thought that it was a ploy to get me out. I figured if it would have been legitimate, I would have to reappear in court. So, I ignored it. I also mentioned the same thing to my lawyer, and I told him that I was the only one responsible for my predicament and that this in no way reflected on his competency.
Yes, we did get an order to show cause but unfortunately the judge ruled that since the eviction had already occurred, it was out of his jurisdiction.
Any tips on how I should go about finding a new lawyer? Also, since the eviction, I have been living in North Carolina, will that cause any problems for me? I still have friends who live in the tri-state area so I visit frequently.
Thanks again for your help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name