Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Moving out of apartment due to flooding

Posted by samantha on January 03, 2002 at 20:18:54:

I live in Missouri. The apartment I live in is a pretty old complex consisted of 4 buildings. My building is 3 stories and has 2 units in each level. Water heater in my apartment broke causing an extensive flood on my apartment. I lost some stuff which are not of my concern. The landlord has some people working in the apartment right now trying to dry out the carpet. The flooding was to the extent that has caused extensive damages to the 2 apartments under my apartment and the tenants were moved out. The landlord has put me in a hotel for up to 3 nights (starting last night) to clean up the apartment. However, the wood under the carpet and the insulation is so wet and the apartment is so humid that it doesn’t seem to be habitable for a good while. Today, he told me that he has another apartment that I could move to- which is almost half size of my current one and has only one bedroom instead of 2. My questions are: (1). Can I break my lease and try to find an apartment somewhere else? (2). Is it reasonable if I ask for a discount in my rent if I move to his other place? (3). Is the landlord responsible in any ways for my moving expenses including transferring the utilities to the new apartment?
(4). Right now there are 3 machines working in my apartment 24 hrs/day to dry the place. Am I the one who should pay the electricity as well as the water bill resulting from this flooding and cleaning up the mess?

I appreciate any advice, comments, and knowledge you have on this matter. Samantha

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name