Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Not without a Judge order.

Posted by Peter on January 02, 2002 at 14:23:32:

In Reply to: Witholding Rent posted by Barb on January 01, 2002 at 19:13:51:

The landlord is supposed to make timely repairs to the apartment and common areas of building his/her building. If your landlord forced you out of your apartment to make repairs you may have a case if you go to Housing Court and report the inconvienance. Only a Judge can grant you an abatement of 12 days. Any other way and you owe the landlord for the back rent, which he can take you to small claims court for if he wants to avoid a non-payment proceeding.

: I was displaced from my apartment for 12 days due to overdue repairs being done to my home. Do I have the right to withold rent for those days I was out of my apartment?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name