Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: new equipment

Posted by Cranky Tenant on January 02, 2002 at 01:07:20:

In Reply to: new equipment posted by kathy on January 01, 2002 at 13:21:35:

In most New York City apartments you're perfectly free to provide your own refrigerator, stove, etc but you should return the one provided to the LL. Keep all receipts in case there's any question about ownership later. You can also install your own light fixtures but some LLs may expect you to remove them, and restore the apartment to the original "as provided" condition before you move.

Floors are a trickier issue since it's more difficult to return these to the original condition. If the floor is visibly worn, and you don't want to insist that your LL refinish it, perhaps you could pay for the materials and he could provide the labor... or vise versa. If it's a rent stabilied apartment your LL may welcome the improvements. If you install wall to wall carpeting over his newly refinished hardwood floor, he may consider it damage and keep your security deposit when you leave.

: Can I legally buy a new refigerator on my own and make some improvements like ceiling fans, new floor without paying an increase or am I still subject to the landlords increase?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name