Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

The No Heat Game

Posted by Katya on December 29, 2001 at 18:39:04:

I don't understand why it is that when it is extremely cold outside the radiator is off so that it's freezing, but when it is 50 or 60 degrees out, the radiator is on ALL the time, so that's it's so unbearably hot that I would have the air conditioner on, plus two fans, and I was still suffocating. What is this, a sadistic game supers like to play (it happened in another apartment too, and I got very sick as a result)?

Now the radiator is off, and has been off all day---stone cold, and it is very cold out and in here. On other cold days it'll come on for a half hour and then go off again for a few more hours. But I've noticed this tendency for it to go off on the weekend when we can't do anything about it.

Why is the heat off completely when it's very cold (and this happens a lot), or at other times hardly on at all? And then why is it on all the time when it's warm outside? (I'm not imagining it---the radiator is hot all the time then, and cold all or most of the time when it's cold).

Also, the hot water goes off mysteriously at odd times like on holidays, Christmas, etc.

This has been going on for the year I've lived here. Would this be a good reason to break a lease? I had to renew my lease this time, but I might want to break it by the spring, as I may be moving overseas for a while.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name