Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent increase for stabilized apartment

Posted by consigliere on December 27, 2001 at 18:02:20:

In Reply to: Rent increase posted by Lisa on December 27, 2001 at 15:51:30:

Your landlady can raise your rent above your current rent by 4% for a one-year lease or 6% for a two-year lease. The tenant chooses whether it's a one-year or a two-year lease.

See DHCR Fact Sheet No. 4 about renewal leases:

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orafac4.htm

and DHCR Fact Sheet No. 2 about the lease rider:

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orafac2.htm

You can file complaints with DHCR if your landlady isn't complying with the law and with the Rent Stabilization Code.

You should also call HPD for an inspection if your building isn't getting enough heat. You can also withhold rent or bring an HP proceeding in housing court about the lack of heat and other problems in your building.

:
: Need some help.
: I have been living in a rent stabilized apt for 4 years.
: When I first moved in I signed a lease for a year, paying $635.
: The following years after, even though we kept asking the owner wouldnt give myself or the other tennents new leases, She was happy with us just paying the rent as we had been.
: In the last few weeks I received a letter from her demanding I sign a lease in january and increasing my rent to $820 a month.
: My naighbours who have paid the same rent as I have only had their rent increased to $710 and the other $760 for the same space, the other tennent's have had no increase.
: The builing has very old electric and plumbing. No heating so far for this winter, basically no capital improvment since I've lived here.
: Can anyone help, as she is threatning to evict me if I do not sign the lease.
: Also I need to know legally how much she can raise my rent.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name