Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

unusual co-op problem

Posted by Ivette on December 27, 2001 at 10:55:50:

My sister owns an HDFC co-op apt. in Harlem. She resides in Atlanta and is recovering from substance abuse and has kept up the maintenance payments. My family and I had a fire in 2000 and have been staying in her apt. Recently, the President of the co-op informed me that my sister is in violation of the by-laws, since she is not maintaing this apt as her primary residence- there are 14 units. Let me note that the President of the co-op runs the bldg by herself, although there is a board. She is not on the up and up with running the bldg. We have not found our own place yet, and she can't move back until we move out. The president of the co-op lives on the 4th floor, we on the 3rd. The president of the co-op gets information on my sister's comings and goings from a tenant in the bldg who is behind on her rent. We (my sister and I) have never been late on the maintenance, and we are not noisy tenants.

-Does my sister have any protections under the law?

-Although my family and I are there temporarily, can the President of the co-op harrass us about being there? (she knows that we had fire). Does anyone have any leads on this?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name