Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: smoking in the hallway

Posted by Info on December 25, 2001 at 11:07:54:

In Reply to: smoking in the hallway posted by Kay on December 22, 2001 at 14:30:30:

I had the same thing happen to me, but instead of asking him to stop all I did was put weatherstripping around my door, and put a door sweep on the bottom of my door. It cost around $17 and I have had no problems with smoke anymore and believe me there was ALOT of smoke. I think it will save you a huge headache if you did it this way. Just my 2 cents.

: My downstairs neighbor comes out of his apt. to smoke in the hallway. The smoke seeps up and into my apt. I've asked him to stop, told the super and the owners, but so far he hasn't stopped, saying only, "life isn't fair," when I asked him if he would just smoke in his own apt.

: I'm assuming it is illegal to smoke in shared spaces. Where would I go to find the actual law?

: Can I write a letter to the landlord saying I'm not going to continue paying rent until they get him to stop? Should I include a letter with my next check saying that's what I'm going to do unless they get him to stop. I'd like to include documentation of the law in my letter which sanctions my not paying rent, if I choose to do so. I can also just call them again and say that I'm going to stop paying without actually putting it in writing.

: I love my place and don't want to risk losing it, but it really seems unfair. (I know life isn't fair, but still...)

: Please advise.
: Thanks,
: Kay

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name