Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

flood due to mainline backup of water

Posted by Sharon Becker on December 24, 2001 at 02:30:23:

Now that I have discovered your site perhaps you will have some effect with my problem.

I had a flood in my apartment which was due to a backup of water in my apartment from a pipe. This flooded throughout my whole apartment and caused considerable damage in addition to hardship and expenses. I have gone to court many times and find that with all the explaining I have tried to do I am just given a runaround with requests for more info or with remarks "we do not have to pay you anything." The water went throughout my whole apartment which was unusable for quite some time. I continued to pay rent since I did not have proper advice on what to do and then would only have to pay it eventually. I called several lawyers and was told that they could not take this case on contingency since I only filed for $6,000 and the fees for this would run about $3,000. I tried to handle this myself and with the advice of a friend or advice from the court. However, I am faced with the same difficulties when I arrive in the courtroom.

When I arrived home on the day of the flood water was everywhere. The maintenance spent 3 days with a wet vac to suction out the water from the carpets and the rest of the apartment. The wood was so badly damaged that they replaced the living room floor which took them over 3 months with holidays and other reasons. I was then unable to go into the living room during that time. Furniture and everything was completely displaced.

I contacted the insurance company, Greater New York, at 200 Madison Ave. They represent East River Housing on 465 Grand Street in Manhattan and cannot seem to settle anything with them.

I cannot afford to move since I now pay a low maintenance and have always lived in this neighborhood. I live in this apartment for 20 years and have always kept it in good condition.

My #at home is 212-353-8661
My address is 568 Grand Street - J106
New York, New York 10002

The building is a union built coop which recently became a market type of coop. Built in 1960's.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name