Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Need Advice ASAP

Posted by dennis_nj on December 20, 2001 at 19:06:10:

In Reply to: Re: Need Advice ASAP posted by Edward on December 20, 2001 at 18:49:08:

: : I rent a room in a private home on Long Island, in New York. There is no written lease and the rent is 90$/month.

: : In July, I lost my job and fell behind in the rent by 3 weeks. Since then I have paid my weekly rent, but remain behind 3 weeks.

: : The landlord has said that he wants me to move out by the end of this week. Since last Wednesday (12/12/01) I have paid him $240. My sister has the cancelled checks to prove I have been paying since July.

: : Does he have the right to put me out?

: Not a lawyer but if you have no written lease he only has to give you thirty day written notice and you must vacate, regardless if you are current with your rent or not.

this is true for month-to-month tenants but it is not clear if you are a month-to-month renter or not. since you pay 'weekly' rent, you *may* not be subject to the normal regulations that apply to mtm tenants. the term for this type of arrangement escapes me at the moment, but you *may* get less than 30 days notice. some areas treat these arrangements the same way as a hotel, and that's not good for you, they *might* be able to throw you out on a moments notice, and/or hold your belongings. start digging into ll/t law sites quick to see what ny says about it.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name