Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Buyout Minutia

Posted by Edward on December 20, 2001 at 19:03:35:

In Reply to: Buyout Minutia posted by 718 on December 19, 2001 at 10:51:39:

:
: I am considering accepting a very low buyout offer from my landlord ($5,000) because he is so antagonistic and I don't have the energy to deal with him. And because right now I have a place to go and he is threatening to evict me to make room for his son if I don't just take the money. I am full of questions:

: 1) right now there is a vacant apartment in the building. My lease is good until August. He would have to start eviction proceedings in March (he says). If there is a vacancy now, can he push me out?

: 2) is there any way to stop him from pushing me out to make room for his son? If I move, he is probably going to use that tactic on someone else, what recourse will they have? What if his son never moves in? Can I sue him after I have been forced out (assuming I don't accept the buyout)?

: 3) What kind of process would I want for a buyout? I actually don't even know how to begin putting money in escrow. Is that what you do, put it in escrow? What would a standard contract say?

: 4) Is he going to spend more thank $5k for a lawyer if I fight him on the eviction?

: thank you.

Stop accepting what the landlord says as the gospel truth. He's in business to make money and will tell you any line he can to get you out. Talk to a lawyer. You have a lease until August. If you follow the provisions in the lease (i.e paying rent) he can't touch you, maybe attempt to make your life difficult but those are bridges you're going to have to cross. You mentioned that you have a wife and kids you have an obligation to them to get them the best deal for them. If 5000 is his starting point I bet he'll be willing to go higher. Hell a good mover will cost you 2000 not to mention security and first month rent at a new place. Fight for your rights man!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name