Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

This should be an easy question...

Posted by Fay on December 20, 2001 at 15:29:06:

What should be the first stop for a tenant having trouble getting a landlord to make basic repairs/deal with safety issues? Where can I get advice on whether or not I can brake my lease without consequences? Long story short- the owner of my building won't make repairs, including an oven that won't light (...and therefore belches natural gas into my apartment when you attempt...) and ceiling that have leaked in two different places, damaging the dropped ceiling tiles as well as the contents of my roommate's closet. There are also heating issues, derived from he fact that the owner switched from raidiator heat to electric baseboard, which are (a) not in every room of the apartment and (b) not adequately heating the place. Contacting the owner has become pointless- he uses an answering service and doesn't return messages, let alone fixes the problems. I have 6 months left on my lease, and need to be advised on what to do to either get the necessary repairs, or avoid being penalized for breaking the lease.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name