Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

owner occupied

Posted by 718 on December 19, 2001 at 14:23:27:

In Reply to: Buyout Minutia posted by 718 on December 19, 2001 at 10:51:39:

I guess I have another question: he has to give me notice in writing 5 months (he came up with that number) before my lease is up that he plans to occupy the apartment and won't renew my lease. My question is whether he has to tell me then who will use the apartment or just that he needs it?

He told me first that he wants to move into the building, and I said "Gosh, if you are really considering moving your wife and children into a studio apartment, you should know that the pipes bang loudly, the yard is full of chickens and smells like chicken stuff, the front doors don't lock, the heat is irregular at best, the buzzer is broken (which isn't such a big deal since the door don't lock) and the hall ways are kept impossibly filthy. " That was when he brought up an alleged "college age son"-- I think he is bluffing. So does he have to identify the future occupant when he gives me notice? And if I call his bluff can he move in himself?

If he does move in and then moves back out, can I sue for damages or just sue to have my apartment restored? What if he renovates in between (it sort of needs it) -- then do I get my old rent in a renovated apartment because he tried to cheat me?

I am just trying to figure out what could happen.

Is there a way to find out what other buildings he owns? I wonder if he has tried this with other tenants and his alleged son is already living in an apartment he owns, having displaced a different tenant.

thank you, thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name