Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lease length in private, 2 family house

Posted by Anna on December 18, 2001 at 21:08:54:

In Reply to: Lease length in private, 2 family house posted by Robert on December 18, 2001 at 16:31:32:

: Are there any regulations governing the length of a lease or other landlord/tenant issues in a private, 2 family home? After five years with no lease, can a landlord limit the lease to 6 months, insisting that rent is paid in cash?

: What guidelines are in place?

: Thanks

I don't think there are any regulations in place at all.

The only "law" I've ever heard of with regard to living in a private house is that tenants who do not have a lease have to notify the LL 30 days in advance of their leaving. The LL has to give the tenant 30 days notice to leave if they want you out, or 30 days notice of a rent increase so you can decide whether or not to take it.

As far as paying the rent in cash, it would seem to me that the homeowner is not intending to pay taxes on this income. The LL could pretend his own family are the only ones living there. No paper trail with cash. MAKE SURE YOU GET RECEIPTS EVERY MONTH IF YOU PAY CASH. If in the future you are freezing in the winter or screwed in some other way by the LL, you can contact the IRS and make them aware of the situation.

I've rented in private houses twice. NEVER AGAIN. They suck. Very little heat, tepid water... You have no rights. Some LL's feel they can go into your apartment when you're not home. I've had that happen. Who do you complain to? There is no one.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name