Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Automatic Sublet, When?

Posted by cranky tennant too..... on December 16, 2001 at 23:43:49:

In Reply to: Automatic Sublet, When? posted by charles on December 16, 2001 at 17:31:35:

This says it all:

: I have a cheap rent stabilized apt in washington hghts

So dont expect even one bit of help from the landlord, next move is for you to offer to pay the whole year in advance for a written sublet.

: I have a cheap rent stabilized apt in washington hghts. I mailed in my 1 year sublet request via certified mail on 11/8/01 and the landlord responded asking for more documentation on 11/18/01 (he was requesting my W2 form and "Leave of Absence" authorization from my workplace and a filled out application from the subtenant candidate). I sent the documentation in around the end of november by non certified mail. In a phone conversation he said he has received it.

: The landlord has verbally agreed to the sublet over the phone but refuses to send written confirmation (Can I trust him?). He gives reasons such as my subtenant doesnt have a job and that he hasnt had time to review her application. (although he has checked her credit rating which is ok according to him). He's generally being difficult. The subtenant is going to pay me the entire rent for the full term of the sublet so I'm not concerned whether or not she has a job. She has the money.

: Landlord claims his consent will be by "failure to reply" to my request. But when will i be able to quit waiting for a possible written denial from him? According to rent guidelines from the DHCR he has 30 days from his request for additional information from the tenant (which would make a total of 40 days). But on the tenant.net site i read a clause in the "Renters Handbook" that he has 30 days from the mailing of the additionally requested information. This would mean I'd have to wait even longer.

: Has anyone else been through this?

:

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name