Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Bummer, take the time to find a rent stabilized apartment .

Posted by John on December 14, 2001 at 11:55:46:

In Reply to: Re: LL can't bring you to court until MDR is paid. posted by Brooks on December 14, 2001 at 11:16:17:

I understand what you are going through, because it happened to me. Just to add my 2 cents, the last part of this headache for me was when I fought my landlord during a holdover proceeding claiming retaliatory eviction… I stayed as long as I could and it worked for a time, (eating up time while I looked for a new place to move to), but once I was in front of a housing judge it was all over and I had to move.

(The law stated that the judge could not enforce my claim, because the building has 3 apartments. Buildings with 3 apartment or less is considered private houses. Six and over is considered rent earning dwellings and rent is stabilized for them.

Note: during a holdover you can extend your stay up to six months with a letter to show cause.

Try to find a nice 1 or 2 bedroom, rent stabilized apartment and move out… Good luck.

: Hi Guys,
: Thanks for the info. Bummer about that new ruling! I have just finished my (hopefully) last HP action against my LL. Basically, HPD found approx. 45, mostly B, violations just in the interior of my apt. He was held in contempt and has to pay a (small) fine. Lets not get into the rest of the building!
: My LL has never had an MDR, and has been renting apt. units (violations and all) for approx. 5 yrs. Unfortunately, due to his harassment methods and his reliance on tenant ignorance he has gotten away with it unchallenged. I am the only one that has ever stood up to him. He has tried every tactic under the sun! I have kept everything very well documented, incl. damages, police complaints, restraining order etc. I have a year left on my lease, and they are not willing to buy me out, or come to any resolutions.
: 1. Must HPD do an entire building inspection before issuing a new/1st time MDR? as I know that there are several building-wide violations still left.
: 2. Even with the new ruling, are there any exceptions?
: I just don't think it's fair that he should be able to get away with everything that he's done to me...I rented this apt. with good faith, and gave him numerous chances to clean up his act and do the right thing. Since being here I have learned more about L/T law than I ever cared to know...:-)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name