Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Permanently Exempt Rent Status

Posted by Stacy on December 13, 2001 at 15:00:11:

In Reply to: Permanently Exempt Rent Status posted by Sid on December 13, 2001 at 08:11:44:

It depends on why it was changed to exempt. You can legally do it if the rent legally climbs past $2000, through annual increases, vacancy rent increases, MCIs, etc. The rent history -- if you have the full rent history; not just the one-page registration overview -- should say why the apartment was deregulated, and what the rent was at the time.

(When I requested my rent history by mail from DHCR, I got only the one-page version. I had to tromp down there to get the full version, which has rents and more detail.)

: I live in a 20 unit building in the East Village. I was suspicious I was getting overcharged for my apartment. I obtained a rent history from the DHCR. My apartment was listed as Rent Stabilized until 1998 when it was changed to "Permanently Exempt" and the legal rent is now listed as "exempt." The rent has increased by eight hundred dollars since then. What is this Permanently Exempt status? Can you legally switch an apartment from rent stabilized status?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name