Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: eviction question for SRO Brooklyn

Posted by JJ on December 11, 2001 at 23:20:16:

In Reply to: eviction question for SRO Brooklyn posted by Eduardo on December 09, 2001 at 18:05:24:

: I just found out that my studio is really a SRO which explains why I never had a lease and don't need one. And why the landlord has only asked for rent stabilized increases these past two years. In court, they called me a statutary-tenant (tenant-by-law compared to tenant-by-lease or tenant-by-month). I sorta understand what this means by reading about the other statutary-tenants: rent control.

: Here's the question, plain and simple: if the landlord gets a judgment in this non-payment lawsuit and I pay the judgment on time, do I get to keep the studio like a regular rent stabilized person or what?

: Another way to put that: would a plain month-to-month tenant (not stabilized) get to keep the apartment? would a rent control (no lease) get to get the apartment? or do just people with leases keep their apartments?

yes, you keep your studio if you pay the rent part of the judgment on time. usually, you get the judgment in the courtroom: bring your checkbook and request that the judge notes your payment on the judgment or at least it will be recorded on the tape recording of the hearing.

ps: statutory. from "statute" meaning laws written in Albany or in NY City Council.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name