Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Money for damages from roommate

Posted by Provost on December 11, 2001 at 20:49:53:

In Reply to: Money for damages from roommate posted by smd on December 11, 2001 at 19:19:56:

Document now (with photos, a list) whatever damages she's caused, but don't show her this documentation. When she give you notice she's moving, get her to acknowledge whatever damage she's caused (sounds like she's doing this in her note) and get her to agree in writing to a payment plan. Keep dollar assesments of this damage reasonable, I doubt its worthwhile to go to court over. But with notice in her own handwriting of having caused the damage and agreeing to pay for it, you could take her to small claims court if necessary to collect.

Ignore the other poster about filing an insurance claim...insurance won't cover damage caused by a renter. In the future think like a landlord when renting rooms...get references, take a full month's deposit, and use a written lease or month to month agreement.

: Brooklyn, New York, non-stabilized 2-bedroom apartment. I've been renting a room (no written lease) to a girl for about 5 months. I found out (I read a note she hasn't yet actually given me) that she is planning to move before the end of the month, effectively giving me about 2 weeks notice. She and her cats have caused a lot of damage to the apartment and my personal things. I charged her $700 a month for rent but only got $150 for the security deposit. The note said that she didn't have the money to both move and pay for all of the damage she caused but would sign a document saying that she would eventually pay for it or make payments. She claims that she is moving only 2 blocks away and will be easy to find, but I don't know if I can trust her.

: 1. I am confused about the law - can she just give me this short notice?

: 2. Should I type up the document and let her make the payments or insist on full payment on the day she moves? I am worried that she may be lying and will leave the state or something.

: Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name