Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlady on a rampage hiding behind "private dwelling" statement

Posted by dennis_nj on December 10, 2001 at 10:17:37:

In Reply to: Re: Landlady on a rampage hiding behind posted by Jeremy on December 10, 2001 at 01:09:54:

: You have the right to privacy!
: Tell the landlady in writing that you consider her entering at these hours and on the flimsiest of excuses to be harassement.
: If you could I would send this return receipt requested.
: I dont know what the Laundry scene is but if she doesnt have to enter your place to access it I would change the locks and inform her she is not getting a key due to her behaviour(put this in writing also).
: If she is renting to you she has no private dwelling rights to enter you place,you have the same rights as laid out on Tenant nets home page!

don't change the locks, the landlord has the RIGHT to have a key to the apartment at all times, and if the tenant changes them, the landlord has the RIGHT to have them changed back, and to charge the tenant. what you CAN do is to install a chain on the inside of the door so that when you are home, the landlord has to knock first and get you to give access. if you change the locks, and there is an emergency (like the place burning down or flooding), and the landlord can't get in to fix the problem, it will become your liability.
also, the landlord, in most cases, has to provide 'reasonable notice' to enter your apartment, usually 24-48 hours, and you do NOT have to be present for them to enter. you do NOT have the right to refuse the landlord entry.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name