Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Smoking Tenant

Posted by Renee on December 06, 2001 at 10:30:42:

I'm renting the first floor of a two family house in Brooklyn. Prior to moving in, I explained to the landlord that my 4 year old has asthma and is a former preemie. When we moved in, we realized there was someone smoking in the house and approached the landlord. It turns out that the tenant who is renting a room in the basement apartment is a smoker and his room seems to be under me and my son's bedroom. I approached the landlord again and found out that the smoker is a problem tenant and they're trying to get him out, but it will take awhile (they've already called the police on him at least once). My question is, can I deduct the purchase of room air purifier out of my rent as it was my understanding that this was a smoke free environment and the smell is starting to aggravate my son's asthma.

My other concern is when I went to the BIS website and put in my address it was listed as a two family house. If it's a two family house, should there be anyone living in the basement to begin with? We occupy the first floor and another family occupies the floor above us.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name