Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Right to Cover windows for winter?

Posted by Steve on December 06, 2001 at 07:18:01:

In Reply to: Right to Cover windows for winter? posted by K Jones on December 04, 2001 at 14:41:05:

I have a similar problem, as my building's 100 year old windows are drafty as hell, and I sleep during the day, too. My solution, cover the inside of the windows with heavy duty plastic, sealing all the way around with duct tape.Poke several golf ball size holes across the top of the window to prevent condensation,and mildew. Over that, I hung cheap twin-bed size comforter blankets. I got 4 at the salvation army for 5 bucks each. The benefit is two-fold. First, being insulated with fiberglass batting, no light can penetrate them. Second, they made the room much warmer,probably by almost 10 degrees. In the summer, I remove the plastic, but keep the blankets up.I still get the darkness I need during the day, and the room stays 10 degrees cooler, as the blankets keep sunlight from heating up the room.Living in an old space sucks, and you have to adapt. This method is inexpensive, far more effective than what you are doing now, and will keep the landlord off your back. As well, if you are paying for heat, you will save some serious $$$, as black plastic bags have no R-Value. In a perfect world, we shouldn't have to do anything like this at all, but you rent the inside of the house, and the landlord has full say over the outside. Best wishes, and stay warm!

: Today my landlord took the plastic off my windows and left it by my door. He told me that if I can't afford the heat then move. I had put black plastic on the outside of my bedroom windows for insulation and to keep out the light because I sleep during the day. Does he have the right to take down plastic on the outside of my windows. He did tell me to put it on the inside, but it seems more efficient to block wind from the outside. Please email me with my rights in this situation, I have mind to go back out and put it right back up. I do not feel I should be restricted from putting up plastic for the winter on the outside, but does he have that right?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name