Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Challenging New Equipment/Improvements

Posted by J on December 05, 2001 at 22:08:36:

I recently signed onto a Vacancy Lease in Queens and have signed the rider stipulating that the 1/40th of the cost of a complete kitchen makeover would be added to my monthly rent. However, I could not inspect the apartment fully due to the renovations that were going on at that time and am suspecting that I am overcharged for this. I requested on Monday that the LL provide me with itemized lists and bills that would validate their claim. And also I am asking for each replaced item's life span to see if DHCR's "useful life" requirement is satisfied. However, LL says he will need until the end of the week to put the bills together. In addition, he has offered to allow me to break the lease less half month's rent, although I have not received a signed copy of the lease from them, so why should I be responsible for the rent if they have something to hide? Does this sound odd to anyone? Wouldn't they have records if this were indeed a legitimate charge? Is there anyone I can speak to regarding this? If I suspect fraud and they cannot provide the documentation, is it grounds to break the lease and recoup my security deposit and first month's rent?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name