Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Treble the overcharge...?

Posted by me on November 30, 2001 at 18:41:29:

In Reply to: Treble the overcharge...? posted by Johnny Quest on November 28, 2001 at 13:41:47:

I'm not clear from the postings whether you are in a rent-stabilized apartment.
Let's say just for the sake of argument that you are, and that you are entitled to treble damages, and that treble damages come to $18,500.
Is it worth hiring a lawyer to sue?
Will it "cost $10,000"? No way, not if it is a simple case (it sounds that way). And even if it did, as you correctly point out, you still come out ahead.

: Let me get this straight. If I can find proof of my illegal sublet-"landlord's" actual rent and can prove (through cancelled checks) that he was overcharging me some $200/per month, even though I had nothing signed with the guy, I can take him to court and get THREE TIMES my overcharge back per month (or, roughly, $18,500 for the 36-odd months I was living there)??

: If this is true, who knows a good lawyer and/or how I can find official evidence of what his rent was. As I mentioned before, I saw it on one of the notifications that was sent to him via me staying at the apartment, but unfortunately did not photocopy it. I suppose his lawyers and his old landlord would know, but is there any down side to asking them and/or an easier way?

: Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name