Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

email incorrect

Posted by michelle on November 27, 2001 at 23:40:27:

In Reply to: Return rent money! posted by michelle on November 27, 2001 at 23:12:12:

Sorry for the inconvenience. My correct address is michelle200000@hotmail.com
Thanks.

: I need some advice on how to get my rent money back.

: In mid-november, I rented a room in a loft in Tribeca for November and December . Although I was moving in mid-month, I agreed to pay for all of November's rent. My Landlord, who is also living in the aparment, waived the security deposit but wanted both months rent upfront. I thought this was very unusual, but since he had waived the security deposit I thought it would be okay (stupid move!). I should have known better. I wrote a personal check and did get a receipt. However, I did not have a written agreement.

: Before I paid the rent, the landlord did inform me that he was in the process of suing his landlord. I'm not sure what his exact reasons were but his lease ended about a year ago. I asked him if this would affect my stay in the apartment. He assured me it wouldn't. I should not have believed him.

: A week later, my landlord told me he had settled his case and we needed to be out of the aparment by December 15th. Technically, we had until January 2001 but my landlord was going out of town around Christmas so he wanted to move everything by the 15th.
: He agreed to refund me the last 2 weeks rent but said I wouldn't get it until January (this was because he wouldn't get money for moving costs until the loft was vacated and he had no other money). He even said I could stay till the 20th for "free" but after that, things at the loft would get ugly ie no heat, no hot water etc. The whole situation sucked! The whole reason why I decided to stay there and pay for all of November's rent even though I was moving in mid-month was so I could stop looking for an apartment, enjoy New York and have a place for the hollidays! I paid for December's rent before it was due and yet he couldn't even give me 1/2 month's rent when he told me the news!

: Also, art of the reason why I am so upset is also because I think that he already knew that he was leaving on the 15th before I paid the rent. He was just trying to get as much usable money as possible to pay for his next loft which he'd by that time already found.
:
: I need to know what actions I can take. I don't believe anything he says and I'm not sure I will ever see any money. At this point, I would like to leave by December 1st and get all my money for December back. I know that one of the other roomates (there are 2 other roommates) is leaving December 1st. Is this possible? Please help!!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name