Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: transferring leases

Posted by Blue Zephyr on November 26, 2001 at 01:12:00:

In Reply to: transferring leases posted by nmalone on November 26, 2001 at 00:42:36:

What you are proposing to do would involve cancelling your lease at your current apartment and signing a new lease for the apartment next door. While this is doable, it can only be done by agreement between both you and your landlord. You cannot simply "transfer" a lease from one apartment to another. If you do manage to switch apartments, you shouldn't have to pay another broker's fee (you found the apartment, not a broker) but you would have to pay a new deposit and sign a brand new lease.

: I am in the middle of a written lease for a rent stabilized studio apartment in new york city. My current lease doesn't end until august 2002 and I am in dire need of a bigger space. the apartment next door to mine (a one bedroom) has just become available and I'm interested in moving into it. Can anyone provide guidance on whether it would be possible to transfer my current lease to the new apartment? Should I expect to have to pay another broker's fee? Do they have the right to ask for a brand new security deposit or just the difference in deposit?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name