Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: does reduction of services mean reduction of rent?

Posted by Lilly on November 24, 2001 at 21:51:53:

In Reply to: Re: does reduction of services mean reduction of rent? posted by Cranky Tenant on November 21, 2001 at 04:46:37:

Most certainly does, but you have to ask for it. Get whatever documentation you can re the gas shut-off (from what date) from Con-ed. Then call HPD and file a complaint. Then go to DHCR and file a complaint there-speak w/ a caseworker who will show you which forms to file.
Witholding rent definately gets the LLs' attention-the more tenants in the bldg that do that the better but it's been my experience that most are either too busy or too scared. No matter, send LL certified LL, return receipt stating that you will be deducting a portion of your rent until the gas is back on and furthermore you await his response as to how much of a rent credit LL will give you for the months you were without gas. Then sit back and wait to be dragged into court for non-payment. Then whammo! Your affirmative defense is that the entire bldg has been without gas for x months - request an inspection. You may have to pay the rent into the court while the case is pending so don't spend it.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name