Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: "Lost" Postal Money Orders

Posted by consigliere on November 22, 2001 at 09:27:51:

In Reply to: postal money orders posted by Carol Bryant on November 21, 2001 at 08:06:35:

In your case, you have recourse against your landlord to recover the duplicate rent payments.

First, you should write to the landlord, and enclose the correspondence from the USPS showing that the money orders which were replaced were cashed by the landlord. I hate suggesting that you send your letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, because that would be unjustly enriching the USPS for its bad money order procedures. If the landlord won't credit you for the duplicate payments, you could sue the landlord in small claims court, if the total amount is less than $3,000, or you could withhold the rent until you have recouped the duplicate payments.

But your point about having to pay back the USPS is a valid one. What if the payee is in another part of the country and you can't easily get back the duplicate payment? You should also contact Senators Schumer and Clinton and your member of the House of Representatives about this issue.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name