Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Spouse moved out - What are my rights?

Posted by Cranky Tenant on November 21, 2001 at 23:29:54:

In Reply to: Re: Spouse moved out - What are my rights? posted by consigliere on November 21, 2001 at 20:38:48:

You also have the right to have the lease put in your name and all rights that any rent stabilized leaseholder would normally enjoy. Start gathering whatever documentation you have, such as marriage license, checks from joint accounts,etc just in case you need to document your relationship. If you're paying the rent from your own checking account keep a copy of the cancelled checks. Landlords sometimes try to intimidate spouses who aren't named on the lease.

: If you live in a rent controlled or rent stabilized apartment in New York, you have the right to succeed your husband, if you have lived with him in the apartment for at least two years (one year if you're disabled, or 62 or older), and you also have the right to have a roommate.
: :
: : I have seperated from my husband and only his name is onthe lease (he moved). do i have full rights? can i have a roomate? the landlord said i could have no roommate. thanks!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name