Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: What is a roommate's responsibility for damage discovered after she has moved out?

Posted by Ace on November 20, 2001 at 15:10:31:

In Reply to: What is a roommate's responsibility for damage discovered after she has moved out? posted by Jessica on November 12, 2001 at 10:02:58:

You don't know for sure if your former roommate broke it -- it's your place now so let it go. The window could have been like that when you moved in. Are you sure either way?

Just approach the landlord and say that you noticed the window was missing a pane -- could this be replaced? Take pictures of it now, with something dated in the picture, maybe the film could be dated or put a newspaper there showing the date in the photo. Keep this for yourself in case later on the LL gets forgetful when you move out and tries to deduct from your security...

I'm sure if you present noticing the window pane missing in a reasonable manner, LL will replace it with no problem. Are you rent stabilized?

: My roommate moved out at the end of september, and I have just discovered that one of the double hung sliding storm windows is not just broken, but entirely missing, such that it's impossible to tell anything is wrong until you try to close the storm window for the winter. Does she have any legal obligation to fix the window? Or am I stuck with it because I already signed a new lease? Or is the landlord somehow responsible because he never inspected the apartment after she left? Her name was on the lease as well, but I believe she has already gotten her security deposit back.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name