Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Eviction--Complicated Situation

Posted by Blue Zephyr on November 17, 2001 at 23:40:58:

In Reply to: Eviction--Complicated Situation posted by JenVB2 on November 17, 2001 at 20:59:09:

Shame on you for being rude to your mother :-)

The landlord can terminate your tenancy on 30 days notice if you don't have a lease. Even a rent stabilized tenancy can be ended if the landlord's family needs to use the apartment.

If you're ready to live on your own, wise up and look around at many apartments, find one with an affordable rent in an area that's convenient and get a lease. If the landlord doesn't want to rent to your mother I doubt he'll rent to you - and you cannot "force" someone to rent you an apartment.

: OK now here's the situation, sorry it can't be brief. I live in Williamsburg Brooklyn, now known for the rise in rent, in a 2 apartment buiding with a Chinese restarunt below and another building in the back with 6 small apartments . I am 24 yrs. old and I live with my mother and my 2 brothers and sister; 2 months ago the landlord offered my mother $3,000 to move out, she declined.
: Now his son tells my mother verbally that she has till the end of january to move out, because he has a family that he wants to put in here. Ok, my mother does not care anymore because she wants to leave but I do not. I am able to afford the apartment on my own now, but the landlord does not know this, yet.
: Here's the kicker, now I find out that she does not have a lease and she has never had a lease since she moved in (and she has been paying rent in cash without reciepts(dumb I know, which I expressed to her in a very rude manner, of course)); keep in mind that my mother took over the apartment from my grandmother(my grandmother also did not have a lease); combined with my mom and my grandmother have been living in this apartment for 20 years, I was here for 14 years because I lived with my grandmother as well.
: My goal is to get this apartment for myself, because I work in they city and I have lived here all my life, now that I can afford it I wish to take over.
: Now the problem is how to go about this situation.
: Thank you for any help that can be provided. Jennifer.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name