Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I suggest you read up a bit more on these topics...

Posted by Provost on November 14, 2001 at 18:13:38:

In Reply to: housing court judges posted by Rayner Colton on November 14, 2001 at 17:00:32:

You have some "interesting" proposals but you need to profoundize your knowledge quite a bit.

Regarding housing court judges, I don't see how someone becomes "corrupt" just becuase he owns property. And many judges do own property (as do 70% of the households in this country, I believe.) Besides, if judges who owned property were excluded, landlords would argue to exclude judges who are tenants ... then who would be left to be a judge ?

As far as jury trials in housing court, they are allowed ... just seldom used, becuase of the time and expense they take. And jurors can be a lot more conservative than judges.

Deduct rent from taxes ? OK, but why not just abolish the income tax altogether? Until that happens, I don't think that people who rent oppulent luxury apartments should be able to write off their entire income. Whatever you think about taxes, the fact that mortgage interest is tax deductible has unquestionably led to a great increase in home ownership, especially among the lower middle class. Facilitating ownership makes more sense to me than enabling renting.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name