Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL Reference & Timing of Giving Notice

Posted by deborah on November 13, 2001 at 18:41:22:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I live in a rent stabilized apartment in Manhattan (Upper Westside). I am buying a co-op and would like to ask my LL for a reference since I've been a tenant here in good standing for about 7 years. My last lease expired at the end of August (2001), so I am in a good position to give 30 days notice without having to break a lease. However, until I am accepted by the co-op board in my new building, I don't know if I'm actually moving (I am already approved for a mortgage). I would like to ask for a reference, yet I don't want to let her know that I'm leaving until I know for sure (as well as knowing WHEN it will happen). So this is kind of a Catch-22. I've never personally had a problem with the LL, but I know plenty of people in the building who have. Also, my apartment layout on other floors is currently renting out at about $1200 MORE than I'm paying, so I'm sure she will be happy to see me go. I just was wondering about my rights should the purchase of my co-op apartment fall through. Do I have the right to change my mind and stay here? I wouldn't officially be giving notice until I'm approved, but my LL would be alerted to my plans by my asking for the reference.

Thanks for any advice.

-Deborah

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name