Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

landlord responsible for outdoor safety?

Posted by sadie mae on November 08, 2001 at 13:14:47:

Greetings all! Here's a question. I rent a room out of a house and have agreed to maintain my area of yard space (e.g. mow lawn in summer, water plants, keep it neat, etc.....) Bordering the front of the house was bamboo, which had been growing there for years. My landlords decided that it was blocking to much light out of the house. (which is most definetely was). So, they cut it down around the house, including my area of the house. It is wonderful having more light, but when they cut the bamboo, they left 1" to 3" stumps of bamboo, probably 30 or so in a 8' by 25' area. I have already cut my feet multiple times and stubbed various toes. I believe it is their responsiblitiy to finish the job and dig up the bamboo stumps, or fill the area in, so that the property is safe for the tenant, me. They seem to feel that if I want the area safe to be walking aroung in, I should cleanup the stumps. Does this seem fair? It would seem to me that the landlord is resposible for small dangers on their property(especially ones they created themselves)- where I grew up people got sued for accidents like that. I live in suffolk county, Long Island.
I would appreciated any opinions. THankyou!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name