Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent History - need help reviewing for overcharge complaint

Posted by Stacy on November 07, 2001 at 14:55:42:

In Reply to: Re: Rent History - need help reviewing for overcharge complaint posted by Missy on November 07, 2001 at 14:37:34:

I suspect what any org or attorney would tell you is that it's impossible to tell from the history alone whether the increase is valid: It depends on whether or not the landlord actually paid for $10K worth of renovations. Best way to check: Ask the landlord. Be diplomatic, and ask for details on what the renovations were. Go with your gut instinct here. If the place looks renovated and the landlord can tell you in detail what work was performed, then it probably happened. If landlord dodges the question, push for copies of receipts. If they can't be produced, then you may have a case. That's the time to consult an attorney. But first, you need to come up with at least a firm suspicion the renovations never happened.

: : Thank you. I did go over the case with a DHCR counselor. I got useless advise "discuss it with the landlord". I then called DHCR to speak with a separate counselor who told me the landlord would of had to put in $10,000 worth of renovations for the increase. I was told no research can be done by DHCR until the complaint is actually filed. DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF AN ORGANIZATION OR ATTORNEY I CAN GO TO DIRECTLY? I just want the rent history reviewed by a professional to determine whether I want to pursue the overcharge or not.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name